Boredom is a severe but underrated marital problem.
With time some spouses become bored with their relationship. They may get tired of the things that occur within the relationship. In this situation, it comes down to being bored with the relationship because it has become predictable.
A couple may do the same thing every day without change or a spark. A spark usually consists of doing random things from time to time. If a relationship lacks spontaneous activities, there is good chance boredom will become a problem.
Solution: Do the unexpected. Surprise your partner with a gift, an unexpected plan, or some new sexual move, and watch your relationship transform.
Being bored doesn’t mean you are not the marrying kind of person after all. And it doesn’t mean you don’t have the right person in your life or should cheat. It simply means you need to change your perspective and take a little action.
Change Your Perspective
- Understand that being human means never being satisfied. Even if you were to divorce or cheat you would come to ultimately be unsatisfied with your life again at some point.
- Re-affirm the reasons that your marriage is wonderful. You have security, love, and comfort, among other things.
- You have another human being who relies on you. They need you more than they will ever admit. Whatever you do, they feel the effects of it. Never lose perspective of what your bond means to your partner. You are incredibly special to them.
- Find a hobby that interests you. Whether it is sewing, painting, jogging, building furniture, puzzle books, cooking, etc. While it is great if you have a hobby that both you and your spouse can enjoy together, often it doesn’t happen. Men and women usually have different and individual interests. Taking up a hobby allows you to be your own person, keep your mind engaged and happy, and also maintain the honor of your marriage by having a clean diversion.
- Plan special dates or vacations with your spouse. This will perhaps be the most exciting parts of your marriage—when you go out and experience new places and things together. Even if you have to save up for that European vacation for a few years, it will give you something to look forward to. In the meantime make some dates to go out to see movies, orchestras, go bowling, to wine tastings, etc. Make each date you go on a little different so you can enjoy your experience to the fullest and get a break from your routine in a healthy way.
- Pray on it. The benefits of a good marriage cannot be replicated through any other experience in life. Pray to God to simply keep your perspective on the right track and always keep you appreciative of the gifts you already have.